Ready to Get Involved with our Community?
At Niagara Ina Grafton Gage Village more than 150 volunteers contribute over 500 hours of time per month. Volunteers operate in a variety of resident care and support service areas. Volunteers create, and participate in daily activities that encompass mind, body and spirit elements to help enhance quality of life to all who partake. As a volunteer, you can donate your energy, ideas, and time. In return, you will have opportunities to:
- Meet other people who share your interests and passions
- Earn new skills and discover new talents
- Develop new friendships
- Take part in valuable learning opportunities
- Be part of a team
- Enhance self-awareness and build confidence in yourself and in others
- Have the opportunity to implement your own ideas and be a part of the decision-making
- Gain valuable work experience
What is Friendly Visiting?
The Friendly Visiting program is a free support service intended to help individuals maintain social interaction with the community and alleviate isolation. Volunteers for this program are carefully selected and matched with a senior based on similar backgrounds, interest and personality types. Regularly scheduled visits are then established to provide companionship, emotional support and friendship. Volunteers do not provide personal care or housekeeping services.
Activities can include anything as simple as a conversation over tea/coffee at the Nifty Nook Café or in the resident’s home to recreational activities like bowling, billiards, visiting the library onsite, going for a walk in the gardens or playing cards.
You can make a difference to a person’s health, well-being and quality of life. If you would like to volunteer as a friendly visitor for one of our seniors connect online or call our Volunteer Coordinator at 905-935-6080 ext. 224
Our Volunteer Positions/Areas include:
• Nifty Nook Gift Shop
• Office Assistance – filing/mail outs
• Dining Room – bus tables/carry trays/restorative assistance
• Satellite Meal Service Program – deliver meals/package meals
• Activation Department – portering residents to/from dining room, helping with special themed events for our long-term care residents
• Swim buddy
• Friendly Visiting Program – details below
• Bus Driver for the NIGGV bus
• Facility Enhancement – indoors/outdoors – gardening, seasonal decorating
• Village Entertainment
• Pastoral Care
• Student Placements
• NIGGV Welcoming Committee